If you are living in America, you must know that these leopard geckos are so famous among people as a pet. Buying the best habitat for your leopard gecko is essential. The basic need for the best habitat is terrarium and substrate. And the other things that you need for the habitat is a water dish, hygrometer, reptile fogger, and leopard gecko lighting. You can buy all these from beginnerpet.com very easily and have proper knowledge of them.
What are the best leopard gecko enclosures and cages?
If you are wondering what the best enclosure for your gecko is, then these points will help you find the perfect one.
- The best habitat for leopard gecko is long and shallow. The minimum size of the terrarium for a leopard gecko is about 10 gallons. It is for one leopard gecko, so if you have more than one gecko, you would need to increase the enclosure’s size.
- The best habitat for your gecko needs to be made of glass. A lot of people get the idea of a wired enclosure when they talk about cages. You can never use an enclosure made with wires. If you want your gecko to stay safe on the bed of the enclosure, it needs to be a glass one. The terrarium has a lid made with mesh that will help in the ventilation as well as for a better source of light.
- Leopard gecko has sensitive skin. It would help if you bought the substrate while keeping the skin of your leopard gecko in mind. The substrate should not create any kind of dust in the cage, and it should be easy to clean too.
- If you want the best substrate for your leopard gecko, try paper towels or newspaper. These are the best substrate because they can be easily replaced and they are not expensive also. It is the reason people use artificial turf or these paper towels to create the best habitat for leopard gecko.
- There are a lot of people who use sand as a substrate. It is because they want to give their gecko the best habitat that they can provide. There are a lot of qualities in the sand substrate. So if you want to but a sand substrate, keep in mind that you are buying it from the pet store and not from any general store.
How can you clean the habitat of your leopard gecko?
If you want the best habitat for the leopard gecko, then you need to keep it clean at all times. It is not important to do the full-fledged cleaning process. You can do these daily chores and clean the full habitat once every month.
- Remove any waste that is in the enclosure. The waste includes the uneaten food, any insect, debris, and shed skin of your gecko.
- Sometimes the feces get on the substrate’s material. That can cause a foul smell, and it needs to be cleaned if you see any.
- You need to clean the dish bowl and renew the water because it is important.
- If you have any soiled substrate, you need to remove that also.
These are some things that you can do on a weekly basis for cleaning the habitat:
- Cleaning and disinfecting the enclosure thoroughly and also the dish bowls.
- If you have any decorations, feeding items inside the enclosure, you need to clean them thoroughly with water. It would help if you used dish soap for cleaning because it comes off easily with water and doesn’t leave any residue.
If you are using the disinfectant with a pine scent, you should not use it on the enclosure of your gecko. Pine scents easily infect leopard geckos because they are toxic for them. If you are not sure of the products you should be using, then contact your gecko vet.
Leopard geckos have specific sleep cycles. So you need to do the cleaning process in the early morning or at dusk. If you disturb their sleep, they will have unnecessary stress, which is not suitable for their health. If you are keen on providing the best habitat for a leopard gecko, you need to keep all these things related to their habitat in mind.
What are the tips to keep leopard gecko healthy?
Gecko is your lovable pet, and it is evident that you want to take care of his health properly. So it would help if you took your gecko to his vet shortly after you get them home. It is also very important to take him for regular checkups so that you get regular health reports.
Your leopard gecko needs to get familiar with the environment. The person who sold the gecko to you would also have advised you not to handle him for three or four days. No matter how much love you want to shower on them, you should give them space. Once they are familiar with their new habitat and your voice, they will allow you to handle them in your hands.
A lot of leopard geckos can get stressed; they need proper care in such situations if you are new to the stuff and don’t know how to judge if your gecko is okay or sick. Here are some points that will help you figure out these things:
- They are hiding more than their usual time being.
- They are not eating well or drinking water properly. This can also show some weight-loss.
- Your leopard gecko has some swollen joints.
- There is an amount of discharge from his mouth, eyes, and nose.
- A lot of shedding and discoloration can also be a problematic symptom in your gecko.
- Feces or droppings are like runny instead of a bit solid ones for two or more days.
These are some things that you need to keep in mind if you want to provide the best habitat for the leopard gecko. You can easily maintain that; all you need to do is be focused while you are at it.